Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Time flies so damn fast, it literally scares me. Exactly a week ago, i was walking along the Suzhou streets, gazing into pubs and nightclubs, patiently waiting for the others to finish parading their new 200 yuan Nikes and Adidas' while having weird chinamen come up to me asking me whether i'd wanna watch girls dance, which if i would've gladly accepted, lead me to a bedroom with FOC condoms.

Well just a day after arriving, i swore to myself that i'll never visit China anymore in the near future. Though i dont remember much about Beijing 5 years ago, i'm suggesting they're all the same. Chinamen yelling into their cellphones, cutting queues in Kedi (China's 7/11), pushing and shoving around when they feel like, 4 star hotels charging 4 RMBs for dirty towels stained with Coke and another 10 RMBs for taking off with their laundry bag. And the drivers, oh the drivers, we all thought Malaysian drivers were pigs on flying brooms, but chinamen, they put Malaysian drivers into so much shame, we'd sell all our cars away. They swerve lanes like Daytona, honk whenever they feel like as though in a wedding procession, and an accidental dent on your car and you get yourself into a brawl involving traffic polices, bystanders and occassionally, elderly citizens who cant keep their asses off other people's business. But then again, Malaysian drivers are still like pigs on flying brooms.

Being around late-autumn, i was clad in my jumpsuit almost the whole trip through. The wind wasn't enough to cause brain-freeze but at times, things can get really chilly. Their time-zone is exactly like back here, except by right, it should've been 2 hours ahead. The sun sets at around 4.30pm and by 6, things get pitch black. But of course, on the other end of it all, the sun rises at 5.30am, so to us lazy Malaysians, we get less sleep than back home.

I can shamelessly say that i've spent more on souvenirs than i did on myself. Although i dont know where my extra 100 RMBs went. I bought myself the whole season 1 of Lost there for 56 RMBs and even though i doubt the DVDs are original, i finished it today and the resolution wasn't at all different than whatever i've downloaded, so i guess it was a good buy. Apart from that, a headlamp for 55 RMBs and a Nike utility bag for 80 RMBs (thanks to mum's bargaining skills) which i didn't even pay for. The rest are all just sweets sweets sweets and more sweets, maybe a couple of other stuff, chopsticks and all.

Despite getting the first row seats, the 777 wasnt at all comfortable. To and fro. The seats were narrow and to have your tray, screen, headphones, remote, pillow and blanket all out at the same time, you wouldnt even have enough space to adjust yourself on your seat. The good thing is, you get to stretch your legs. En route to Shanghai, i had The Longest Yard on my screen while savouring my cream chicken. I went on to play some "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and chess before knocking out at around 4.30 am while still somewhere above Phnom Phenh. On the way home, it was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and szechuan chicken. I admit i was abit jittery before the flight, worrying about "what if(s)", what if we ran 1000 miles off course and crash into a mysterious island with mysterious creatures, and the rescue are searching for us in the wrong place? Thoughts like that, running through my head, when we take off, when we hit turbulence, when the plane suffers a sudden drop and your heart just falls to the floor. What if? What if? What if? TOO MUCH LOST!

At the end of the day, i think back on the last seven days and think to myself, was it worth it planting myself with negative thoughts at the start of it all and not really enjoying myself to the fullest? But i guess it was a great experience, cubicles lined along a drain which they so proudly call the toilet, urinal basins placed in places where people walking outside can watch you pee, the people, the con-men nature of the people, the good food, even better scenary, the conjob land where our ancestors once called home. China.

And today, i have an ulcer happily expanding on my tongue. I finished Lost season 1, and dad's got his new car. I'll try uploading my pictures of China and posting the url as soon as i possibly can. So there.

Love,
Jinny

No comments: