Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Cry on my shoulders

I hate being emotional. Not like is something foreign in my life, but i find myself a little more proned to tears welling up now. You know the sensation everytime you see people say goodbye reluctantly and they cry on tv, and you just feel like you wanna cry also.

Your nose gets this sudden surge of air rushing in and your eyes simutaneously becomes moist. I tell myself i cannot cry. Because i have my ego, because i have an image i have to keep so that i will not break down emotionally when everyone's around, i think i have to be a man and a man doesnt cry, crying is only for girls. But when it comes down to certain situations, we're all only human, and the humane thing to do is to cry.

I remember back in form 2 i was living with a suicidal mind. Everyday i wake, i think about wanting to hurt myself, i write songs about wanting to kill myself, i sing stuff about self suicides, i even carved out "life" on my forearms with a blade. There were so many things running through my mind then, until now, the reason i was that way, i dont even know, no one knows. What was the root to my misery, what was keeping me from leading a wonderful life like everyone else around. I just thought of darkness, death, what if i die now, who would actually take notice. Honestly i wouldn't say it hasn't followed me till this day, i still have those scars of the troubled life. A troubled life you say? At a raw age of just 13? When you think everything turns their backs to you with addition to the bottled up confusion. You literally are a volcanic eruption just waiting to happen.

There was this one day, a usual day, and usual day to me that time was me, just wanting to be alone, not paying attention to the bickering filling the air, just in school, being the usual quiet, conservative me. We had PJK, but at the same time it was raining so everyone had to cluster at one edge of the canteen and copy PJK notes into exercise books. While everyone else were talking about football, girls, sex, all that jazz we guys talk about, i remember a dissappointed me just staring at the text book. Though i cant remember what i was dissappointed about but i do recall me not aknowledging whatever other people said to me, i just stared, my mind racing with thoughts, paranoia and all that. I felt like that was it, the pinnacle of my frustrations and problems, the lava knocking on crater's door. Then my coach, was on his way back to the quartermaster room and passed our class, i looked at him and turned away. Suddenly i felt his hand grasp my shoulders and he said "what's wrong?", then, eruption point, that instant i just couldn't care about anything else anymore, whether my class was witnessing my fall as a man, what they'll say, how shocked they were, i just cried, i cried myself dry that evening in front of every gazing eye.

I've been there, i've been on the brink of suicide, and it isn't pleasant, it isn't a place where you go to in your mind and hope for pity. Because your sanity will kill you. I still talk about death nowadays, but i bear in mind that i also know a little bit more about life day after day ever since. I think of my life being miserable now, then i contemplate my absence in this world, then it kicks in, the reminders of life, i tell myself i cant leave my family behind, i just cant do it, i cant leave my girlfriend behind, i cant leave my friends behind, i cant leave this world and its splendours behind because there are so many new things to experience.

Yes, like any macho-man would tell you, boys dont cry. I admit i feel embarressed to cry, i feel like a pussy, i feel ugly, i get conscious of what others think if they found out that i am in touch with my feminine side of crying, very in touch in fact, but ironically at the same time, i feel good after a round of crying. You know, sometimes we guys would rather bottle up than burst, some of us dont even care about the things that makes us emotional, because sometimes life is a little too easy to be taken for granted. But i think once in awhile, we should all just let our guards down and flood this damn place up. We're only human, and the humane thing to do is to cry.

I admit, sometimes i cry like a little girl. Emelia knows that. :)

Jinny

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never knew that every suicidal person has the same thinking. I had the exact same thoughts. And still do. I can't really imagine what happened about you and your coach but it really touched my feelings. True enough I don't see you as someone who'd cry like that. But no, it's not a bad thing. And it's good for you that you're living less in the suicidal world.

Some people like me just can't live out of it. Cos certain things in life just doesnt satisfy anyone enough. Atleast you've got a girlfriend who'd listen to your rantings. I don't have anyone anymore.

All the best to you, in your life.

jinn said...

hey anon, everyone can step out of it. of course it doesnt eradicate absolutely everything and every problem you have but then, try and tell yourself that sometimes, there are things that you want so much to come to you, like happiness and all that, but reality is that you've gotta find it within yourself first. Smile to yourself, and yes, this world IS unfair, its TOTALLY unfair, but if it is fair square, there wouldnt be challenges in life to improve yourself anymore. I wouldnt say i'm giving advice becoz ive overcomed all that i've faced, i'm just sharing with you what i know about my life and how it has changed. In the end, you'll look back at your old self, and say what an idiot you were the last time, but then again, at THAT time, all you can do was to be that way, you try so hard but you always end up depressed you know. Ask yourself why you're feeling this way all the time, and then change. For the better. :)

You take care there aight? And you're not all alone, physically maybe, mentally no, and of course in the blogosphere, you have people like me to relate to. Even if you appear anonymous. :p

Anonymous said...

heya.
You're right, it may not be good for the eyes but it is for the heart. ;)

Preach it brutha'!

Anonymous said...

it is indeed good to cry to release your emotions at times...