Thursday, February 02, 2006

Honestly, i feel like the most underachieved underachiever in the family.

Jack of all trades, master of none. That's how you describe the eujinn in the Chia family. Remember how i shot myself in the feet the last time i said i'm left with the leftover genes from both my parents thus having a pair of mis-matched eyes? Lets get to the point. Every member of my family has an interesting and majestic story to look up to whenever they have the urge of feeling superior. We all know our parents are somehow still swimming in their own eras so lets not talk about them.

Big sis, ann was always known as the sperm who took every inch of brain development genes from wherever has it. Straight As student with a good set of vocabulary and public speaking nerves to accompany. She even featured in a saturday morning radio talkshow for winning a national level public speaking contest. Gold medal for some english paper that the university of new south wales set. Blah blah blah. And now she's in NU of S'pore which is ranked in the top 30 universities in the world. Talk about smarty pants.

2nd sis, lynn. Now now, all you adolescent guy readers out there might just know her too well. Or so you claim to. But being the underachiever, i'm also gonna be the bearer of bad news to inform every cassanova or big flirt or whoever who gets boners easily out there that my sister is NOT single. She has a boyfriend of err.. *counting* 4 years and his name's Simon. You know, the long haired guitarist from Media Puppets who were 1st runner up in last year's hitz.tv blast off. So if any of you think you might be able to sweep him off his throne, you gotta have long hair, performs in gigs, have dinner with my family, fetch me home from tuition, show you're boyfriend material and most importantly, I (speaking on behalf of family) MUST like you. Okay now unlike ann, lynn is the sperm who took all the A class genes and campur campur it inside the mixer until it became like marble cake. She's been approached by talent scouts, model agencies, and has appeared on tv and the papers, can sing, can dance, can drive very well, can talk very well, a pure-born social maestro.

And me, i wouldn't say i have the best of both worlds because that would sound very absurd. Lets just say i'm the sperm who (like alam flora) scooped up the genes that are scattered on the trail of the two earlier sperms. Yes, i have appeared on a commercial before, a commercial that got sent to china and my face wasn't even visible. I've been on the papers, either a candid shot that i so happen to appear in the background of the focus or group shots that the camera made almost everyone look the same. Socially, i told lots of stories in primary, story-telling competitions, poem recitation, never once, no matter how hard i practised in front of the mirror, never once i got the top prize. Cant sing, cant dance, cant drive (a car, not people crazy), I've joined countless clubs and picked up several instruments but i've never seriously pursued any. Intelligence wise, i think even paris hilton has a higher iq level. And the pmr results, i still think its pure luck, maybe some papers got mixed up, i'll never know, even my cousin who's in ahemm junior college in s'pore is still shamelessly reminding me how shocked he was when he heard of my pmr results. Though not very convincing, i think i've beaten myself up enough to cement my impression as an underachiever. Even my dog oscar is a celebrity now. The 42 year old virgin who's gradually turning she-male. Sigh.

Anyway, i went to the hospital today for the first time since i was admitted as a child. I wasn't greeted by the familiar aroma of over-sterilised utensils and bed-sheets like i used to. The hospital always smelt that way. But i was in the outpatient building of SJMC to see an orthopedist for the nagging pain in my left wrist. Dr. Chan the orthopedist recommended an x-ray and MRI scan which i would be taking in a week's time to determine the cause which is suspected to be a damage to the cartilage or joint. Killing two birds with one stone, i requested an examination of my right foot and revealed all the joints from the metatarsal to the 4 little toes are 80% loose and that includes 2 toes from my left foot too. Dr. Chan prescribed a method of taping my toes in a downward position everyday to strenghten my joints there. And he said it would be advisable to QUIT athletics. I wished sir was there to hear all of it. Hah.

Screw all the x-rays and metatarsals and cartilage problems and wasted sperms and garbage genes and all that. Where's my mlia?

Jinny

No comments: