Monday, August 29, 2005

Its been one whole week since my last entry, and i'm more than glad to inform everyone that the holidays are finally over! It would be perfect if we'd not think of the upcoming exams, and to readers, if you feel that you've not done anything productive (or the Hated word we call *STUDY*), let me assure you whole-heartedly, that you have someone like me! Someone who is aware of the consequences of NOT studying and STILL NOT doing anything about it. Any of you read yesterday's Star Education? The article about our generation of students sitting for exams not to gain knowledge whatsoever, but merely to live up to peer, teacher, and parent's demands. I find it quite depressing reading an article such as this, having lived and still living through it, exams are merely to test one's skills and understanding in a certain subject, to know if that someone has learnt well of that subject, but well, I'm in 4 Bunga Raya, god knows how I got there, but its the 2nd Pure Science class in my school, and sure enough, when you're in a class like that, the majority of students are competing amongst each other, trying to outwit, trying to prove oneself that he or she is smarter than another. I may be saying this because I know, my status in class could be similiarised to Sunderland, or West Bromwich Albion in the English Premier League, in simpler, much understandable words, relegation contenders. But the BIG question is, What are we trying to prove with such attitude towards exams? I have seen people in my class, comparing papers, crying for not getting a perfect score, quietly assuring themselves that they aren't stupid by comparing marks. These are the sore-perfectionists as I call them.

And for some reason, I have been thinking alot about OBS (Outward Bound School) Lumut lately, my YAC course in December 2003. I can still remember the first day when we were required to surrender our luxury items, see new faces from different walks of life all anxiously waiting for the green light to carry our brim-packed haversacks to the dorms. It was then I found out that Gunung Ledang was one of the highest mountains in Malaysia, Ledang watch, which was my watch, shared the guys dorms with Kinabalu, and it so happened that my group, Group 1 consisted of 3 watches which was Ledang, Kinabalu and Camah, and we were quite known as the HAPPENING group. I can still remember very clearly, my gut feeling of homesickness when we were briefed about our to do's and not to do's during the whole course. All the memories of the expedition to the Dam and Pangkor Island, the early morning Negarakus, the notorious one hand monkey in Pangkor, our kayak formations, the final night barbecue, can still play freshly in my mind, the feeling of anxiety and shock everytime we dramatically open our dorm doors to find bed sheets strewn all over the place, rice grains scattered on the floor, tissues painted the toilet floors, the pungent smell of monkeys and their poo. Everytime we would come back to the dorm, be it an expedition, games down at the field, breakfast, lunch or dinner, we would go back to our dorms quite armed with our penknives and torchlights, preparing to strike at any monkeys caught red-handed. I know its been almost 2 years since it has passed, but right now, i would like to thank Ledang watch, my watch, Ben, Tyson, Keen Ho, Elephant, Shu Fei, Kim, Wai Kwan, Hunter, Min Huei, Sheau Shiuh, Alvin and Melissa for helping me during our solo camp (bet ya'll remember that!) Fanning me and giving me water and whistling for help, haha, we so woke up the other watches too! :p Thanks guys! (and a "BIG" thank you to Daniel Lim for ordering your watch to blow the emergency whistles too to confuse our CAs, -.-")

Alright, take a break from the past, yesterday, was my first time to KLPAC a.k.a KL Performing Arts Centre. Brad, you might think its unreasonable, but I paid (am going to pay Em) 32 bucks for the tickets when i couldve gone in for free a week ago. But pay or no pay, I can assurely tell you that its worth every dime and time spent. Romi and Joo Lee dan Lain-lain, cleverly twisted Malaysian version of Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet, with catchy scripts and very very Malaysian style of play, cannot fail to amuse and leave the audience in stitches. Rashid Salleh plays the muka tembok Romi and Nell Ng plays the cute, naive Joo Lee, the rest of the cast like Patrick Teoh, Gavin Yap, Llewyn Marsh and few more sit in to a wide variety of roles and characters from almost all of Shakespear's other plays. Half the time, these guys stole the show. Patrick Teoh cleverly joked that there were some people in the crowd who are really into theatre and there are those who are there just to impress people and show that they do have a little bit of culture in them. Well, I'm there because of both reasons. :) In the end, we were left to nurse our aching stomachs and give a few words of praise or signatures from the casts. Em was quite estatic she got Gavin Yap's signature. And me? I was left with a "god knows when it started" migraine and sulking to myself to why i didnt bring a camera.

Very well then, so much for a Monday night. Peace!

No comments: