Wednesday, June 07, 2006

We're almost 2 weeks into the holidays and as hasty as it came by, its soon-to-be going going gone.

One reason why i despise the shit out of myself is because no one beats me in the tendency of wasting away my holidays. I vowed to myself to at least, at the very ultimate least, that i'll devote a fraction of my holidays to educating myself in any way. And yet until now, it has not been done. Despite me wasting all my time in the world, i just cant pick myself up to do productive studying or revision or whatever. Its just not in my mind at all.

The prospect of the reopening of school is scary. Its like i've been looking forward to the mid-terms because i could at least finally get my mind off the academics and now its slowly dissolving. The schooldays strikes back.

I've finally started my own training after a 2 month lay-off. My upcoming involvement in the pj half marathon and school sports day has motivationally encouraged me to bring myself for evening runs with senior folks of ss2/43. I started a 10 mintue jog last saturday then slowly increasing my intensity to a 5 km jog on monday and 7 km today. I'm quite sure i'm slowly getting back into shape but my stamina's bollocks. And for some uncanny reason, due to hormonal imbalance, i think i secrete more sweat than i actually pee. Correct me if its a normal condition but when i say i'm "bathing" in sweat, its like i'm literally bathing in sweat.

And by the way, the numbers 666 intrigues me. What so significant about these 3 numbers of the same digit? Why cant 444 or 777 be significant as well? Pardon my shallow self if anyone of you does have the proper explanation. Satan's number you say? I've been told before that if you call the numbers 666 on your phone, you might just actually get hell's hotline. I wonder what are the call rates but hey, if 666 are satan's initials and god is the arch nemesis and flipside of satan, does that mean god's significant number is 999? I really dont understand why the date 060606 can actually instill fear into some people. Yet throngs of chinese couples choose to marry on this "auspicious" day, so 666 is a number of mixed fortunes? I wonder how many of us would build bunkers and shit ourselves on the 6th of June 2066.

Oh well, the world cup is kicking-off soon. I know i know, i dont usually write about football here for the sake of some people who would actually rather watch tv3's kisah benar than football. Nevermind the last post about the transfer speculations, the mcphee-ver is lone gone and now the real man's fever is coming. You can run, but you cant hide from it.

Personally, i'm rooting for either england or portugal. But i wouldn't write off holland. England is common among we malaysians because basicly, most of us only watch the english premier league so we dare talk and comment and crucify players from that league only. Other countries like brazil and france have an equal malaysian fan base because as far as we can remember, they're the ones who have won the world cup very recently and naturally we do support the winners. Although a number of us would somehow say we support some obscure nation when being asked so that we can boast about our football knowledge.

Why portugal you ask? Look the squad at their disposal. Everyone knows cristiano ronaldo, or luis figo. Date back the decades and you have a squadful of quality players. Capable of matching head to head records with other major nations. But even with all the talent and their glaring ties to brazil (even their player's names sound similiar), they've never won the world cup. And if you remember the euro 2004 final, losing to a toothless greek side, they're more like the underdogs. But yet, everyone seems stubborn in writing them off for the cup and always seeding them as one of the top nations, i'm sure there's a reason behind that, and they know, that portugal are capable of surprises. As for my own preferance, i like to see tricks, and no, ronaldinho or kaka aren't the only ones capable of trickery, portugal boasts of cristiano ronaldo, deco, figo, pauleta, simao and so on. Even the defenders are exciting to watch, paulo ferreira, carvalho, valente. Brazil can eat their socks.

How about holland? Unlike portugal, holland has won the world cup before, but after their triumph, who knows where they went? They went up the football rankings, and down, and simultaneously for several years until now nobody understands why they're in 2nd behind brazil in the rankings when they didn't win anything. But i would admit that right now, 2nd seems to truly reflect on how good they really are. And the best thing is, they're a young squad, old is gold, but no one wants to see a team of old hags playing in the world cup do they? The young ones catch the eyes because they're robust and full of energy, like rooney, messi, or in holland's case, van persie, robben, kuyt, or castelen. People like van nistelrooy and van bommel light the world cup on fire as well so do watch out for holland.

As for england, i think they're not going far, althout i wish they would. Everyone says that they'll still mount a challenge without rooney but its bullshit for me. Wayne Rooney is the heart and soul of the england squad and without him, they just cant hold on. Putting a 17 year old theo walcott doesnt help england one bit because all they really need is rooney. No crouch, no walcott, no defoe, maybe a little bit of owen but rooney. Look what happened to manchester united when he was injured, they sunk. And when he played for england in euro 2004, they were on fire. So they DO need wayne rooney if they are to win the world cup. Lampard and gerrard are doing well in midfield and if i were the manager, i'd put joe cole instead of stewart downing on the left, no wait, i'd rather call-up kieran richardson instead of downing. As shit and useless as he can be, england still needs david beckham's crosses from the right. And defensively, i'd put ashley cole on the left, carragher on the right with terry and ferdinand in the centre. Hell who cares, its not like they're gonna win it anyway.

Wow, i'd be surprised to see anyone still reading up to this sentence. The world cup stuff up there were like writings to amuse myself.

Till the world cup starts! I'd like to see myself get out of the house abit more. Just for the last few days of the holiday lah.

Jinny

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

060606. GREAT day. tagtagtagtag! WHEE!

Anonymous said...

what the hell is elena doing there?

ANYWAY, i read everything. :) good for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey um, Holland has never won the World Cup before. They've been in the finals a couple of times back during their heyday in the 70s though.

A Netherlands fan here! =D

jinn said...

damn must've did wrong there.. i kept thinking the johan cryuff era did win something in the world cups.. :s.. my bad.. haha